Friday, March 10, 2017

Project blog(3/10/17)My thermos

     In this project we learned about heat transfer. We got with a team and created a mug that could hold minimum of 250 milliliters. Our mug was made of polystyrene (styrofoam) because it has billions of air bubbles inside it that trap the heat, duct tape because it has rubber which is a good insulator because it prevents electrons from traveling through it, and wool yarn because wool has fibers that the heat grabs onto.

     Before I started I knew these were good insulators but I had know idea why.
   
     I am proud of this product. I really like how it holds in heat really well and isn't uncomfortable to hold. I don't like how the lid after being opened a closed a lot stopped closing all the way.

     We did our work differently because we didn't buy a glass jar or just use a water bottle covered in tape. But ours (The bottom piece) was made from styrofoam cup with the lip taken off in side a bigger cup. The I put scraps of foam on duct tape and wrapped it around the cup a few times. The I stuck it in the bottom of a gatorade bottle filled with duct tape and foam scraps. The I wrapped to whole thing in duct tape, then in yarn, then in duct tape again.

     Next time I would like to make the seal between the two pieces work so it did not drip.

No comments:

Post a Comment